View Single Post
Old 08-08-13, 11:23 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Square Wheels
They look nice, expensive, but I see a lot of benefits to this style.
Tax-free weekend in Massachusetts, maybe I should pick some up.
I'm going to buy a pair, because I have a specific need that there's not a good answer for: power meter on a tandem.

Without a specific reason to need a power based system, I think you should think hard about being a beta tester.

Every power meter system from SRM to Ergamo, to Powertap to Quarq, etc. has had problems out of the gate. And the only pedal based power meter that's come to market before this is an absolute piece of crap (Look Polar Power pedals).

Garmin almost as much as admits this is a beta version of the product, at least with respect to the software.

Thus, there is a distinct advantage to buying a mature power meter.

And what is the supposed advantage to the Garmin system? Weight? It does not appear to be lighter than a Quarq or SRM with Speedplay or the lightest Look Keo's.

Interchangeability? It's as easy to move an SRM or Quarq from from bike to bike as it is to swap pedals, and install the transmitter. I've moved a Quarq from road bike to tt bike between stages in a stage race in less than 3 minutes.

Better data? As I indicated above, nobody including Garmin really knows of much particular value for the 2 sided data you can get from these.

Cost? No cheaper than Quarq, more expensive than Powertap, and Stages.

Equipment choice? Vector does allow you your choice of wheels and crank. However Quarq, and SRM allow you choice of wheels as well, and there are a number of crank options for SRM and Quarq. And SRM and Quarq don't look you into look style pedals.

Perhaps in 2 years, when the kinks have ben ironed, the price has fallen, and there's more data regarding how to use the unique data from a pedal based system, the Vector will make sense.

For now, unless you're putting them on a tandem, I'd go with SRM, price no object, Quarq if the budget doesn't allow SRM, and Powertap, if cost is the primary driver. (or used wired SRM).
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.