Old 08-09-13, 03:08 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by squatchy
There are much more experienced riders on here than I am and usually it takes only a few hours to have lots of conflicting ideas but this is what I was thinking when I said this.

Mountain biking shoes are not as stiff because they are designed to be able to walk better with. While pedaling, when the shoe bends your loosing potential energy that could propel you forward.

Secondly, Mnt bike pedals have a smaller base/platform. I'm thinking this also allows for lost power as well as possible comfort issues on longer rides. I can see where a smaller platform could, ( I said COULD) cause hot foot, ankle issues and the such.

Admittedly, it's probably too small to make a difference unless one rides like some of us do (hundreds of miles a week). In the case of the OP I didn't get the idea that he was riding near that so I seriously doubt any of this would make any difference at all for where he is at currently.

I personally can't ride singletrack near as far as I do my road bikes, so I don't find issue with mnt bike components on my mnt bike. A 40 mile ride on my mnt bike is very far for me. However I would hate to think of riding a century ride with that gear on my road bike. I do however, ride with friends who do ride long rides on road bikes with mnt bike clips/pedals

Maybe Campag4life can chime in here. I think he has some engineering education. Merlinextralight is also very informative with real life experience/ knowledge. Both of those guys have always impressed me much as the best contributors to this forum.
Thanks for the kind words squatchy. I am no expert just been doing this a long time.
Many like mtb clip in shoes for road riding. Benefit with mtb shoes is one can actually walk in them. I got a flat a couple of miles from my house the other day...if farther away I would have changed it but took off my cycling shoes and walked home. Road shoes are awful to walk in because of their cleat config and very stiff soles. I think you said it well squatchy.

OP...a last tip. I know Speedplay pedals and road shoes maybe a sizable expenditure but they are worth their weight in gold for an avid cyclist. Speedplay pedals are very forgiving on the knees because of their generous float.