View Single Post
Old 08-09-13, 07:37 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Don't know if folks will read this, but since it's my thread, just putting some progress in here.

Made it to the rails bike trail along the Allegheny River. Rode 6 miles up to the tunnel. The tunnels are really cool. There was a family just hanging out in the middle of the tunnel in the dark, LOL. Mom, Dad, an older boy, and a young daughter. Funny how you can hear them plain as day at the extreme ends of the tunnel. Feels so fantastic in the tunnel. I forgot to look at the temperature while I was in the middle. It was 73° while riding on the trail and by the time I remembered to look, I was already out of the tunnel and peddling and the temp was rising from 63° back to 73°.

Peddling time was an hour and 5 minutes with a few coasting rests here and there along with the easing through the tunnel and taking a rest at each end of the tunnel to grab a picture. Was peddling about 12 mph on the way up with a very slight incline and fluctuating between 13 and 15 mph on the way back with the very slight decline and getting fatigued. Sprinted the last 1/4 mile at around 18 mph staying down in the seat.

That was so much nicer than riding the constant up and down hills behind the house.