Old 08-10-13, 09:29 AM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
It happens to car drivers, too. The results can be worse, but the cause is the same.
In some cases, yes, I would agree with that. However, not all collisions, and I would even estimate the minority are caused by unintentional "goof ups". A lot of collisions, especially the really bad ones I have seen are the result of people making willful choices to knowingly do stupid things which puts other people at risk for small gains in their own selfish convenience. For example when someone chooses to pass an 18-wheel rig that is already driving a little over the speed limit on a corner over a double yellow line and ends up causing a head on collision at an estimated 80-mph that does not fall into the "Oops" category in my opinion. Responsible drivers whether of bicycle vehicles or automobile vehicles don't do crazy dangerous stuff like that, but occasionally we do have "brain farts" and "Oops" moments.

I was just wondering how common they are among other responsible bicycle vehicle drivers. Trying to gauge how I personally compare with other responsible bicycle vehicle drivers as far as frequency and severity of "brain fart" and "Oops" incidents.

I do know that the majority of "brain fart" and "Oops" incidents I've had while driving both bicycle vehicles and automobile vehicles have been of the failure to yield variety on things other then signed or signaled intersections and while riding a bike I would say I probably average less then one such incident a year (not trying to brag or anything, I wish it were none at all) but don't do quite that well with an automobile vehicle. Just wondering how that compares to some of you other guys who try to play by the rules riding VC in traffic on a fairly regular basis. Obviously, for those doing better then I am a few good pointers would be nice.

Last edited by turbo1889; 08-10-13 at 09:37 AM.