ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
When waiting at the intersection in a combined straight/right turn lane I like to stop in the left portion of the lane to allow cars to move up and turn right. The drawback is when, every once in awhile, someone will pull up beside intending to go straight, trapping you between lanes.
I've had this happen and it sucks big time. Being trapped in the narrow gap on a line between cars is beyond dangerous. Once was enough that I'm never going to let that happen again. If there is room I'll stay to the middle/left of the lane but scoot up on the crosswalk. That will let cars turn right but I'm sure to be far enough into the lane that any car going straight can't squeeze by me. If there isn't room then I'll look back at the car directly behind me. If it has a right turn signal on then I'll generally move over to the left enough to let me pass. Haven't had to face the situation yet where the next car behind the one turning wants to go straight. But by now if that car doesn't turn or doesn't have a signal on I think I generally make eye contact and move in front of the car.