Old 08-12-13, 05:53 AM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you're definitely shopping, I just built up a ride with 700x40 tires on it and I'd point you to models with 700x35's or with room for larger, coming from mountain you'll like the bigger tires. They make the ride a bit more plush and bomb proof too. I wasn't sure I'd like the 40's much on pavement, but I really like them more each time I go for a ride.

The "cross" bikes with drop bars are really nice. Frames are a bit more beefy, rack, fender and bottle mounts all over, very convenient commuter bikes and don't let the drop bars scare you away, just make sure you get them fit so they are high enough for you without having a severe drop from the seat height. If you get them high enough they are very comfortable and let you move your hands around to several positions. It's really nice to have the options to move around.

Fender mounts with all the rain out there...not a bad thing to have.

My friends who live there have been telling me there are just epic miles of paths along the water, sounds like an amazing place to cycle compared to many. Here in NJ I'm lucky to make a 10 mile ride on paths without being in traffic by comparison. I've been told that 50 mile runs out there are no problem.