View Single Post
Old 08-12-13, 08:21 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
There are a few morons in cars out there but I can't say I recognise what you're describing. I've lived in London for the last 17 years and worked in central London for 12 of those (getting about the centre of town on foot) so can only assume you've been spectacularly unlucky, or just picked a bad part of town.

We don't have stop signs at every junction like you do in so many parts of the US, we just tell drivers to give way unless it's truly necessary to come to a complete stop.

What part of London are you talking about?
I think you have been exceedingly kind in your rebuttal of the o.p.'s broad brushed characterization of your city. Rest assured, the U.S. is no bastion of bike friendliness. Quite the opposite. There are only a handful of cities considered bike friendly and two of those get that distinction simply from their "critical mass" of vehicular cyclists (a large percentage of whom are simply too poor to travel any other way) and not from any real committment to foster a culture of bicycle awareness in the driving public.

H