View Single Post
Old 08-12-13, 06:38 PM
stirb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzatronic
OP said a bike lane is after the intersection so I don't think what you're saying applies here. He's actually doing drivers and traffic a favor by filtering up to the front rather than sitting in a line of cars that he likely can't keep pace with when the light turns. Staying in line creates a gap that otherwise would not be there of he filtered up and only serves to slow down traffic behind.

My rule is if there is no bike lane, filter only of I'm turning right. If there is a bike lane after the light, filter to the front if I'm going straight or turning left. If the light is on an incline, I always filter to the front.

As far as where I sit in the lane, I apply the motorcycle rule. If a motorcycle would be in the lane and cars wouldn't make dumb moves to endanger them, I go where they would go. Sometimes this means I block right turns when I'm going straight, so be it. All other vehicles going straight would also block right turns, why should I be expected to make things less safe for myself just because I'm on a bike?
this clears it up even more, where I live I have a lot of narrow and wide streets with tons of uphill/downhill so I have to hold up traffic quiet a bit or risk them trying to hook me as the get around me.