Old 08-13-13, 12:28 PM
jralbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Night Commuting Lights: One 800 lumen or Two 500 lumen lights?

Hi All,
The days are getting shorter and my 20km commute down an unlit MUP will be in full darkness in only a few weeks (where did summer go?!). Since this is my first year of full-time cycle commuting, I'm still in the gear-acquisition stage, so I have no lights sufficient for illuminating the path, just blinkies for see-me visibility. Accordingly, I've begun to research lights; I'm prepared to spend up to $150 CAD, managing battery charging cycles is not a big deal for me (bike and lights will both be at my desk and can charge all day, and can charge again in the garage overnight), and I'm not looking to get into a dynamo system, at least for this year.

So: MEC has two options that might suit my requirements: the Cygo-Lite ExpiliOn 800 for $109, or the Cygo-Lite Metro 500 for $65 - which I could fit two of into my budget.

I like the idea of having two lights that I can maybe aim a little differently, and that if I have a failure on either light I'm not totally without illumination; but will two 500 lumen lights be equivalent to or brighter than a single 800 lumen light? Math says yes, but I gather there's an awful lot of uncertainty around effective brightness with bike lights generally. Do folks have specific experiences with either of these lights? I appeal to the wisdom of the Commuting forum!