Old 08-13-13, 04:32 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrapp
I've built two frames with the MAP/Oxy set up. One lugged silver brazed and the other fillet brazed. You really burn through the oxygen and it takes a long time to get things hot enough especially fillet brazing. The silver brazed lugged frame was better suited to the Map/Oxy. The fillet brazed frame was very hard to heat and in the end some of my joints were inadequate, aka I ripped the headtube off two days ago after overshooting a jump! It hurt and now I wait until I can pony up for a small oxy/acetylene torch before tackling another fillet brazed frame. The lugged frame is still going strong after 1 1/2 years of commuting and occasional trail riding. It is a lugged 1 1/8" HT. I got the lug kit from Nova cycle supplies. I think there were more than 1 choice for 1 1/8 lugs there.
That is interesting about your failure. it certainly sounds like this newer version of MAPP gas is not hot enough for fillet brazing. The MTB frame I fillet brazed with the old style/original formula Mapp 26 years ago is still going strong.

Last edited by Cyclist0094; 08-13-13 at 04:48 PM.