acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
Hard to say where to look with that short a window. You could try ebay and restricting your search to bikes close enough to go and collect. Or if you've got a local bike shop they may have something available - my LBS doesn't do second hand bikes as a rule but every once in a while they'll take something in as part exchange against a new bike and when that happens they have a used bike to sell.

If you're looking at spending £50-100 then the chances are as long as what you're looking at doesn't leave you thinking "all this for £50?" you'll probably be OK. Realistically at that end of the market the chances of the seller having their original receipt are pretty slim - my bikes would probably be worth £3-500 or so as used bikes and I don't know that I've still got receipts for any of them because they all date back to 2009 and are well out of warranty. Unfortunately the chances of picking up a stolen bike are one of the risks you have to take whenever you buy used, although if you can get something from a bike shop or a cooperative or something you'd hope they had done basic due diligence to avoid reselling stolen goods.
Yeah, I understand.

I have a nice daily commuter that will come over in a month or two.

I'm think of doing the continental European thing and having a total junker that keeps air in the tires (don't care if it shifts or fits really well) and chaining it up at the rail station. Also, it's great when friends are in town so that we'd have a pair of bikes.

If I'm spending over £100, I might as well just £350 in that case