Old 09-19-05, 08:22 PM
Juniper
Digs technical steeps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjjone
My bigest problem area today was corners that are going downhill-I know where the trail is going, but I can't maintain eye contact with it, so I get jerky and lay on the brakes until I get around the corner, and then enjoy the ride down, but I'm losing ALL my momentum in the turn.

Getting off the back of the saddle is a whole 'nother discussion...
Lots of good tips already! I rode hilly single-track with a friend who is a new rider recently. He always has trouble with staying on the trail; he catches the edge and bites it. What he has to overcome is being so stiff.

Loosen up on the bike and let the bike find its groove. Don't ride the bike, ride the trail. Let bumps flow through you, not into you; lots of body english. My goal (I ride a HT) on every ride is to not take a bump that jars my body; I hit the bumps but want them to flow through me, not into me (I frequently ride a smoother line than my friends on their FS's).

Speed is your friend; skidding puts you out of control (and wrecks the trail). Use less brake than you think you need; it is much smoother to fly, to skim the surface, then to jerk through a section (gli-i-i-i-ide!). Make sure your butt is way back on downhill sections; much better to bail off the back than to go over the bars.

Practice making really small circles in both directions; smaller, smaller, smaller. Practice going up a steep grade as slowly as possible; practically a track stand. Practice using body english to 'flick' your bike around an uphill switch-back corner.

I'll bet you'll love mountain biking! I've ridden and enjoyed a lot of road bike in my day, too, but this is a whole new dimension to cycling that has rush factor second to none. Plus, the overall fitness development is maximum (bigger biceps from cycling? yup!).

Have fun and good luck!