Old 08-17-13, 05:27 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The HyRd should automatically compensate for pad wear (once they are readjusted after pad break-in).

The problem I have right now is fluid expansion.

We were descending HWY 84 E from Sky Londa back to Woodside, the TRP HyRd (and the 28mm Ultremos) were just amazing. About half way down we caught up to some slow vehicle traffic (damn cars!), and I had to ride the brakes a bit more then I would if I was descending at my own pace.

By the bottom of the hill, the fluid expanded quite a bit. The fluid expansion pushed in the pistons. As such, all my lever travel was gone... meaning the brakes would engage at the slightest touch of the brake lever. On a more severe descent, this expansion might even engage the brakes!!

On a positive note, the brakes never had fade or lost power at all, even with the fluid expansion and no lever travel.

So, I thought...

- Well maybe the fluid reservoir is overfilled?
--- I opened it up and there is a diaphragm that fits just under the cover. That allows for expansion, while keeping air out.
--- The fluid level was where it should be.
--- There is very little fluid in this system

- I probably have the cable adjuster just a tad bit too tight.
--- Probably so, but this was a lot of expansion. Even with the tension slightly looser, there would have been a problem.

So I am thinking about increasing the fluid capacity of the system by adding a piece which expands the capacity of the reservoir, and provides a larger heat sink.

Last edited by uspspro; 08-17-13 at 06:03 PM.