Old 08-18-13, 11:56 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting back into the power game.

Once upon a time, when I lived in IL, and raced on the road, I had a PowerTap Pro with their standard little yellow head unit. Gave that bike, including wheel, to a friend.

Fast forward three plus years, and I'm now primarily an MTB rider, who hasn't raced since then. Things have changed a fair bit since then. There are lots of third party GPS units available for sale that put the old school PT head units to shame.

I'm looking to get back into racing, both MTB and cyclocross, and perhaps on the road, and recently picked up a PowerTap Disc hub, built to a Bontrager TLR rim, for 400 clams. No head unit, though. As someone who uses GPS literally every day for work (it's on my wrist right now), I'm not interested in non-GPS units. Can someone recommend an easy to use, GPS-enabled, reliable ANT+ head unit? I don't need all of the bells and whistles; just the basics. I'll extract the data and look into the minutia later, off the bike.

Currently looking at the Joule GPS, CatEye Strada 50, maybe the Garmin Edge 500.

Last edited by Duke of Kent; 08-19-13 at 12:13 AM.