Old 08-19-13, 01:55 AM
droopayne

Bikes: RIP Niner, Salsa, Co-Motion Trident

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Awesome vacation tour! Thanks for posting a blog. It provides moral support against those who would accuse me of child abuse for taking my 9-year old on 40-mile days. Well, maybe "child abuse accusations" is a bit of an exaggeration but I do get tired of those shocked reactions as if there's something wrong with taking a kid on a bike ride for more than an hour and actually working toward a destination. Great job and great bike!
thanks man! i have to say some of my fondest memories of the trip was the look on people faces when my daughter told them where we were going or where we had started. bike touring with a kid on a tandem definitely has its challenges but as long as you don't try to kill it with 60-100 mile days it's totally doable and you can really go anywhere. in some ways doing our tour in Oct was nice because it set a pre-determined limit on how far we could go in one day since it would get dark around 6:30/7....but then it meant getting up early which my family is not used to doing

my daughter rarely admits to enjoying that bike ride but we recently took a garden tour by bike with our tandem and they started the ride off asking everyone's name and favorite bike memory. she told them all of our ride to disneyland and you could see a little pride showing through

the only downside is now she complains about any seat that isn't a brooks!