View Single Post
Old 08-19-13, 08:30 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cody,

Work with your mom a little...but enjoy your rides too.

My Mom bought me my first motorcycle. When I got a sportbike and she overheard me telling my brother that I had it up to an indicated 186mph, she asked me to be more careful. I thought about her plea and got some leathers and went motorcycle racing. She got a trailer hitch put on her car and drove me to the race track. I cannot say that motorcycle racing was more safe, but it was controlled and ultimately I was more careful in my quest for speed. I got more experience and skill and used that knowledge to "control" myself and my speed in situations where I would have blasted through without a care before.

So, fast forward 25 years and I am in a similar predicament but with road cycling and racing. My Wife used to worry about me going on long rides every day but never said anything. It was not until we were on a ride together and she watched me get hit head by a motorcycle, and nearly killed, that she really came out and told me how much she worried and that she just could not take the stress if I continued to ride on the road every day.

Of course, all I wanted to do is to heal up and go out for a ride, but I had to seriously consider the degree of danger I was put myself in and how much stress I was willing to put my Wife under. After some soul searching, I decided that putting myself into the path of every passing car started to look pretty silly. That being said, I want to live my life without fear and enjoy many things that are considered dangerous, but in this instance, I modified my riding and have taken up cyclocross, WITH MY WIFE. I have included her in my sport and she sees the effort and can experience my "danger" levels. It has helped her so much. I know I have not taken my last road ride but can keep busy riding off the roads until some of the emotional scars heal for my Wife and time fades her fears.

I would suggest getting your Mom involved and out there with you for a ride. Choose roads that you feel safest on and I am sure she will benefit in multiple areas and better understand your passion for the sport, your health, and your focus on safety.