Old 08-20-13, 09:56 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Do you bike with your kids to school? Younger kids?

I'm cross-posting this here and in Commuting so I can get more of a response.

My wife and I just took our 3-year old son to his first day of K3 this morning. We had to sit and wait in the car drop-off line for probably 15 minutes before someone from the school came out and opened the door to the building, and one-by-one the kids would get out of each car. The whole ordeal was just dreadful, sitting in idling cars, fumes and pollution everywhere, wasting gas, etc. etc.

I would really love to bike with my son to school to drop him off, but at this point I'm not sure if I can make that happen, and also bike to work twice a week like I've been doing since May. He has to be at school by 8:15, but they don't open the door to the building until 8:15 on the dot. If you're there early, you have to wait in line in the car. The earlier you get there, the closer you are to the front of the line, but you also have to sit and wait longer obviously.

My son is going to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Normally I leave the house early and get to work by 7 on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I can leave the office around 4 and bike home (between 60 and 70 minutes each way on the bike). My son is not riding a bike yet, but loves riding in the trailer. I could bike with him in the trailer to get him there at 8:15, then take the bike/trailer back home, then drive to work with the road bike on my car and get to work about 9. My wife would then pick him up. But getting to work at 9, I'm not sure if I would be able to leave at 4 to ride home, and I really don't like the idea of not getting home until after 6 on the bike.

I only bike home on T/Th because my wife teaches Zumba classes on M/W and I have to be home a little earlier.

What about when he starts riding his own bike? I'm not sure if the school even has a place for kids to keep bikes (I'm certain NO ONE else there bikes), and then with my wife picking him up a bike wouldn't really fit in her car I wouldn't think.

Thoughts or suggestions?