View Single Post
Old 09-20-05, 09:38 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich vSB
Another problem with V-brakes is limited clearance for fat tires, fenders, etc.
That's certainly true, but I don't think it's really an issue until you start getting into really big tire sizes, as in over 2.1" or so. If you're building a bike for riding on the beach, or snow, or other surfaces that call for really huge tires, then cantis are pretty much what you have to use, and they are more than adequate for the task. Traditional cantis are great.

BostonFixed, I think that you're referring to wide-profile cantilevers? I've used them, and you're right - they're absolutely fantastic. Not quite as good as v-brakes, but they are up there. I had some fit and spring tension issues with mine, and they are currently out of style, perhaps due to the clearance issue on some frames, but they are certainly powerful.

FarHorizon, as far as brands of v-brakes go, as with pretty much anything else, you get what you pay for. Shimano, Tektro and Avid should all have good v-brakes. Nashbar makes a decent set as well. You can get a good brake for around 15 bucks or so. Obviously, things get better as the price tag goes up, but I don't know what the best value is. Just stay away from Promax, cause they're crap, and if you see brake arms that are stamped rather than forged, RUN AWAY IN FEAR! Same goes for steel. In fact, steel and stamped usually go together. Luckily, it's actually kind of hard to find bad aftermarket v-brakes. Most of what you'll find is pretty good, it's the OEM stuff that you need to watch out for.