View Single Post
Old 08-22-13, 05:58 AM
mojobiking

Bikes: 198? Schwinn Sierra, 1990s Schwin Crosscut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I moved to Winston Salem in June 2013 (two months ago) for her job. Prior to that, we lived in San Diego. The comparison of the bicycle riding infrastructure between these two cities is like night and day. Bike lanes are practically absent in Winston Salem unless you are only in the downtown area of 5 blocks. They begin all of a sudden and end where the road is not wide enough.
Lots of businesses and work places do not have bicycle racks to park. You will be left to find a light pole in the parking lot to leash your bike to, if commuting or running errands, and will have to let it be rained on, since it has rained here almost every day for two months.
Most roads, including bridges, do not have side-walks even. Otherwise, the road shoulder is all grass.
Vehicle drivers are not used to encountering bicycle riders on the road. The city bicycle rules need you to ride as close to the right of the road as possible. This is very subjective, and so in case of an incident, "you could have been not riding to the right".
If you ride a bicycle without bicycling clothes, like I do, you will be profiled as someone who committed a driving sin to get their driving license suspended.
Having vented so far, I will say we have rode a couple of times outside town (in the country), and it was a fun experience (as long as there were no pick ups chasing us) and there are "greenways" which are also fun to ride on, but way too short.
Good luck.