Old 08-24-13, 04:06 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
I guess it's different in Chicago, but among my friends the people who get scolded, chastised, and made fun of are the few who don't wear helmets. Most of my friends -- who, if you saw them you'd immediately judge as too-cool-for-school hipsters even though they are genuinely nice, creative, and awesome people -- wear them.

I wear mine about 90+% of the time, but there is the occasion when I'm going only a short distance on slow residential streets or paths, or other rare circumstances, when I don't. I actually hate that I get scolded like a little kid about it, because I am an adult who can make decisions to do things that are risky and it's my own damn business if I do. I mean hell, now I hear that helmets are required gear for downhill skiing and snowboarding and I sure as hell didn't wear a helmet for the 20 years of my life that those were regular activities.
My ex used to get mad at me, I bought her a helmet and told her she can't ride with me unless she wore it. I ride aggressive and fast and I wouldn't be to happy if got smashed trying to keep up.
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Or if you text/are on the phone will driving/biking, have a couple beers at the bar then bike home.

I'm not against wearing a helmet but people act like if you have a helmet on you are going to live through any crash, all it does is protect you from head injuries, it's not going to do much when you get right hooked and go under the car.
I agree, its not an automatic ticket to safety. But I personally don't feel safe going 20+ miles per hour on a bike with all that risk not to wear one.
Same with motorcycles, I would never ride my motorcycle without a helmet, I get nervous riding near people without them (not NY obviously).