Old 08-25-13, 04:22 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Personally, I'd buy the bike that you liked the ride of best. Never ridden a foil, so I can't comment on the ride, but there can be some trade off in ride quality on many aero frames.

Not racing, over time, I think you'll find ride quality much more important a few theoretical seconds on a strava segment.
Would say this is true for the vast majority of us. And then there is choosing a bike that suits the handling you like. And then the weight. Many prefer a Tarmac to a Venge because of ride quality and climbing ability because a Tarmac is lighter. And then there is fit. Aero bikes tend to be a more aggressive fit which doesn't suit many riders.
And I think how you ride matters a fair amount as you mention Merlin..with what kind of riders...do you ride competitively etc. Today I was out riding and passed by five guys on TT bikes. I was curious who fast they rode and latched on to the back of the group. 23 mph average I would say...sometimes faster, sometimes slower. A guy on a roadbike...even my Roubaix...clearly not an aero bike....in the drops can hold the draft of a tri group generally provided they aren't special riders. In a draft, aero effects are even less.