AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
This is my team race report for the Castro Valley ITT yesterday. It was ugly. Ex was there, and he followed me a bit in his car. His comments were that it wasn't good. The new bike was all screwed up, but I know what need to do. The season is now over. I might run a 10k race in late October before Ex takes me back under his wing in November.

I raced the Castro Valley summer ITT yesterday. It was a 20k course, uphill out, and downhill back. The course was really hard, lots of twisties, and many short, sharp rollers, with one long false flat. I won my age group, but it sure wasn't pretty. I had a snail pace time of 38 and change, which is nothing but slow. I was about six minutes off of the pace I had for the Senior Games 20k ITT I did in June. I was riding my new Felt B16, which is bone stock, except for the saddle and crank. The fitting I had was incomplete, and therein lie the issues. I kept sliding up the saddle and my arms kept sliding back on the pads. I burned a huge amount of energy trying to hold position on the bike. I finally gave up and rode the bullhorns on the climb.

This was my last race for this season. I may join you fellas next year for another season with MBRT, but I may go with a team with more active women racers, instead. No matter what I do, this has been a learning, building, surprising season for me. I knew it was going to be hard breaking into racing as a 60+ woman, especially riding in the Cat 4 ranks with all the kids. I love a challenge, and I had many of those! I did far better than I expected this past year, and towards the end of it I was holding my own and even having success. To use an oft repeated cliche' - it's been a hell of a ride!
The perfect TT fit is a never ending quest. I'm at the point where I'm comfortable once my shoulders loosen up, however I need to keep my hands loose on the grips, so they are a touch higher than intended, to get my elbows to lock onto the pads. But even with that, I know there is a lot of speed still to be gained tweaking equipment and position. Neither my bike nor I look anything like Ex on his Shiv. Were I truly serious about TT's though, I'd switch bikes first. Then I'd invade Casa Ex for about two weeks and cajole him to get out his bar benders and inventory of TT stuff to dial it all in.

Congratulations on one hell of a season, Sara.