on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
you obviously are putting some good thought into your situation, and the 'bar disalignment' is certainly an out of the box idea of merit. how much this can help and the eventual consequences - a more psersonal and longterm assessment by you.
FWIW - I don;t have an arm length disparity, but in '04 I had a fairly serious motorcycle mishap - serious enough to lay me up for almost 6 mos. The good news was, other than some serious bruising, from the hips down I was ok. Bad news was I destroyed my left upper side. 5 ribs, punctured lung, pulverized scapula - suprisingly the shoulder joint made it through in better shape. Anyway, I have chronic pain/discomfort in the upper left back and neck because of structural imbalance.
If I don;t pay attention, those back and neck muscles, because of the constant imbalance, eventuallly will go into spasm.
What helps me...
I try to have massage done at least every 2-3 wks. And I've also learned to do some basic self-massage for the neck and shoulder areas that I can reach. I do strengthening exercises. Since the mishap, I've found Yoga to be HUGE in helping me cope with all the related issues of my skeletal imbalances.
Massage, with direction from you, and some basic instruction, having someone work that area is way better than not having it at all. Frequent professional massage can become expensive. But having someone who care about you to be a regular basic 'therapist' goes a long way to being a good supplement to Pro massage therapy.
If you have a diverse yoga culture in your area, as we do here in Santa Barbara - there could be regular 'practices' of 'therapeutic yoga' - designed to open you up as much as strengthen you.

I was off the bicycle for 7 mos, after the mishap. SO it was like starting over, with a new hand of cards. My left side reach was very much limited, so after about 2 mos. of 'downdog' (Adho Mukha Svanasana), I could actually ride for 30 mins.
Never thought of disaligning the bars - guess I wasn;t creative enough.
But I did move the left brifter up the bars/bend about an inch - which helped a lot. And over the next 6 mos. slowly moved it back downward to the matching position of the right side.
I guess there really is no one solution, just us trying to find things which work for each of our situations.
Keep us posted... we can learn from you
This is a much better and more detailed response than I could have hoped for. Thank you. I'm very sorry to hear of you accident and injuries. I'm glad that you are still around to talk about it.

I've got quite a bit of experience with hatha yoga and also have had therapeutic massage. It's easy enough for me to try some postures and see what helps. If I make some good progress and soon, I'll keep you posted.