genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo1889
Since when do they actually follow the standards when they don't want to when it comes to bicycle infrastructure already? The existing standards already require bicycle lanes to be routed to the left of right hand turn lanes. How many have you seen that didn't follow that standard?

If they can get away with not following that standard then I think I could get away with making little mini sharrow markings for the shoulder edge that were too small for motorists speeding along in the main traffic lane to notice while putting big full size sharrow markings in the main lane so that you can mark the shoulder edge for use for cyclists if they so desire to use it while keeping that "under the radar" of motorists. They marginalize us all the time and violate the standards to do it, why not. Or better yet just have the "mini mark" added to the standards to be only used on shoulder edges in combination with the full size mark used in the main lane.
Good point... the oddest bad bike lane I ever saw was so narrow that the BL symbol did not fit between the two lines (this was a BL for straight though, so not at the curb).

So much for standards.... and yes, I ran into exactly the same problem a number of years ago... new freeway ramp was being installed just a 1/2 block from my office... and I watched them put the BL to the right of the on ramp entrance... cyclists would have been routed right to the freeway, or right hooked every time. I went to the contractor trailer in the area and asked about it. The contractor waved the standards manual at me and said it was right in there. I contacted the local advocacy group and within 2 weeks the BL was changed. Hard to believe that the contractor stood right there with a AASHTO standards manual and still did it all wrong.