Old 08-28-13, 01:32 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Thanks for the infos. I did start looking into e-bikes... which is why I think it'd be a mistake, as she seems to getting to like riding (she's been riding with me on week-ends), so it'd be a waste of money to stick with her crappy, entry level bicycle and buy an e-bike for commuting which might not be necessary.

I googled around, checked what eg. ChainReactionCycles has to offer, but am still looking for brands so I know what my options are, regardless of whether the brand is distributed here or not.

At this point, I think a good bike would be:
  • as light as possible, while still being a good bike for commuting + day trips (ie. neither a road bike nor a real touring bike)
  • to keep things clean and easy, hub lights + gears with a good ratio so climbing that hill is a breeze
  • rear-rack + fenders

FWIW, she's ready to spend €1.500-2.000 ($2.000-2.600) on a bike.
You can probably get a decent e-bike for her budget. There is a German(?) e-bike called an A2B here. Very nice, and probably lithium-ion batteries. It is more like an e-moped. Very well built but you will not want to cruise around with the motor off! My advice is to go into a local shop with a good reputation. Spend the money there. If she is going to rely on them for basic maintenance and repair, it is money well spent since most good shops will do nearly all the work on bikes they have sold, for no charge.

H