View Single Post
Old 08-28-13, 10:59 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In '97, I bought a $100 Huffy "Blades" 18-sp rigid. It was what was under me when I had that pivotal moment of recapturing the riding passion I'd missed for 25 years, and have never lost since. I have a bit of sentiment for that bike, even though the old beast is now reconstituted scrap.

It's been over 10 years, though, since I've seen a Huffy that I could even BEGIN to recommend; the ones built over the last 2 years are utter filth. Bubbled and gapped frame welds, wheels that go out of true when you inflate the tires (I'm NOT kidding!), and bearings that could have been loaded with metal shavings at the factory.

A couple of years ago, I was dealing with a retired couple that was looking to get back on bikes -- typically, didn't want to spend a lot until they knew it would take -- and had to take a deep breath when they asked me about Huffy cruisers. I decided to be blunt, and damn what my bosses might say.

"Their best use would be as a boat anchor."

A bit of shock on his face, a bit of anger on hers -- which became clear a moment later.

"I retired from Huffy!" she snapped.

"Then you must have taken the quality with you, because now, they truly are terrible."

They didn't buy that day; don't know if they ever did. Haven't seen them since.