View Single Post
Old 09-21-05, 05:27 AM
chickenfarmer70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the problem:

I purchased a brand new Bontager Race Light Wheelset off of ebay and have put about 600 miles on them. For the first 400 miles they were GREAT with no problems. However in the past 200 miles I have one spoke on the rear wheel (non-drive side) that is constantly backing out and causing the rim to go out of true. I have retightened and retrued the wheel three times. It starts to go out at around 25 miles plus. The tension of this spoke is around the same as all of the others on the same side.

Last night after my ride it started out again and this time I backed the spoke almost completely out of the nipple and put medium (blue) permatec thread locker on the threads. I did not want to jump directly to the red high strength stuff for fear of locking things up too tight.

I have not hit anything in the road that would have bent the rims and they do not appear to be bent or out radially.

My Question:

Was using permatec thread locker a good thing to do? I will try riding on the wheel again tonight, but if this does not work what would you guys do?

Also, if I or my LBS cannot fix the problem, I wonder if Bontrager will rehab the wheel (as if defected) since I am not the original purchaser?

Last edited by chickenfarmer70; 09-21-05 at 05:51 AM.