daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Pinehurst is up by Northgate, right? My internal city map is a little foggy up that way...

Get yourself to Gas Works Park (when I worked at N'gate, I'd usually take 5th Ave down, which gets you to Green Lake; I'd turn onto Ravenna and either take the Burke Gilman Trail to Gas Works, or go over the University Bridge) for an easy-to-find starting point. But it's a loop so of course you can start anywhere, the U bridge might be more convenient. We'll use Gas Works as an example though.

Ride out of the park on the BGT going east. After a mile or so, you'll want to go up a slight hill at that busy intersection, and then go over/down the University Bridge. That gets you onto Eastlake, this is the worst mile of the ride because of traffic. Go right on Edgar Street. Take the first left onto Chesihaud, then right after a block, the road curves left and now you're on the lake shore, on Fairview I think. Follow that until it meets Eastlake again, this time you have two lanes and one of them "belongs to" cyclists as it goes over a "bridge" by Zymogenetics. Go right at the end of the lake, through or around South Lake Union Park, and then you can take the road or the parking lot up to the Fremont Bridge. Go right after the bridge, then right again down a small ramp under the Aurora Bridge. Immediate left after the ramp, you'll go a short distance on new pavement by Lake Washington Rowing Club, out onto Northlake, and pretty soon you're back at Gas Works.

The loop is 6 or 7 miles in all.

Shoot me a PM if you want to try and set something up for an after work ride.
Thanks a lot!

I am looking at the bike map published by Seattle City now. I usually go down on Roosevelt to commute. When I'm not in the mood to tackle the hill on the way in, I take Ravenna via Green Lake as well. Either way, I hit University Bridge and Eastlake.

That Gas Works Park route around Lake Union sounds wonderful. I don't think I've got the time this afternoon, but I will definitely try it sometime next week.

As for riding together, I'm pretty sure I'm not up to your level yet. Let me do some more training before I'm moderately confident that I won't be too much of a burden to you.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 08-30-13 at 11:54 AM.