View Single Post
Old 08-30-13, 12:12 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Hmmm. I ride in Oregon. Actually I think the commercial drivers are much better at going over the center line as they pass than car and SUV drivers! When they don't, I have decided that there is a good reason for it. Still, I don't get passed by too many logging trucks. My brother is a trucker. In his first year on the road he had about 3 near collisions and one actual collision with on ramp slowpokes. Cars. I asked him why he didn't just pull left when approaching on ramps. He looked at me like I was nuts. I suppose if I was pulling a load as squirrely as logs I might think twice about sliding over the centerline for every cyclist I came up behind. Especially, as Bob mentioned, if there was some kind of shoulder for them to ride on! Commercial drivers do not want to hit you! It is bad news for their company and very bad news for their career. If a trucker buzzes you it is a near sure thing that he saw where you could be safer by moving more to the right. In any case, the proof that the pass was a safe one, if not a pleasant one.... well the proof of that is this thread, is it not? I know I come off like a hardass in this forum. Trust me, my heartrate spikes just as high as yours when one of those rigs roars by at close quarters. Trust me also when I tell you that you I would much rather it be someone with a CDL taking that kind of risk than a soccer mom texting her boyfriend.
It's not up to him to decide where it is safest for you on the road. And his opinion doesn't give him the right to put your life in danger.