Old 08-31-13, 09:53 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Red Kite crit today. I signed up for 5A and 5B. Warmed up a few laps, perfectly flat, not much wind. Lined up at the front again. 2 weeks ago I hid in the pack until the last 3, but the pace was only 25mph so today I planned to pull at the front more. Whistle went off and I rolled out to an easy pace I could hold for a half hour. After a lap I looked back and still no one was on me. I didn't want to ride out front the whole way, nor did I want to crawl alomg like a snail so I just chilled out there. The pack came up going into the third lap and I pulled a lap before settling into third wheel. Took turns pulling every few laps. With a few laps to go the pace picked up to 30 at the front for a bit and the announcer said the field was split. Idk if they caught up cause 2 laps to go found everone taking the turns all wonky and moving sideways more than forward. Halfway through the 2nd to last lap I felt my front wheel going crazy (later the guy in front of me told me he barely felt anything). I went down and so did one other guy and a mentor. Broken derailleur hanger and bent spoke cut my day short. Luckily I know how to fall and only lost some skin and part of my jersey. Dammit, I liked that jersey!
Well I can attest that Dave, the crashed-out mentor, was ok afterwards - he did fine in the 2/3's & 1/2's races later in the day.

Sorry about the crash, but glad you made it out! What do you think of crits vs RRs? (doesn't have to be either/or, but they are certainly different)

my race videos