Old 09-01-13, 10:00 PM
bandroadman

Bikes: Specalized Expidetion Hybred. I do about 400-500 miles each month and am aiming for 5000 miles again this year.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daughter's roommate had a stroke. Need some suggestions

My daughter's roommate had a major stroke a couple of years ago at age 35. He has physically recovered as much as he probably will but still has several major issues. He has completely lost the use of his right hand and will probably get little or no improvement. He is able to walk but still has some loss of function of his right foot and leg. He has lost some of his ability to speak as well although he understands very well.

His physical therapist has suggested that he get a bike and ride, a lot, to his therapy sessions which are about two miles from his home. He and my daughter live in Arlington, Texas which is mostly flat with city streets. She will ride with him as much as possible but she does hold down a full time day job, so he will have to ride solo some of the time.

Which brings me to my questions:
1. What kind of bike? 3 wheel or a "comfort" bike with adult training wheels?
2. Single speed or gears?
3. Since his right foot/leg is weak, will he need some form of clips for the pedals?

I am sure I've missed a lot of questions but I am also sure that you kind folks will have a lot of answers and I thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.