Old 09-03-13, 11:12 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Sorry I meant food while on the bike. Pending pace/grade, you can burn from 600-1100 cals per hr on the bike but your body can only digest 300-400cals per hr. With longer rides, at some point you will hit that wall where your body will be using stored calories to fuel the ride. The more you get used to hitting the wall, the easier it gets riding longer on the bike. For me that is around the 6hr mark. So ideally you eat easy to digest foods, but packed with the right type of stuff you need on your rides. And also learn to eat while on the bike, on demand.
Ah, ok. I'm practicing this now and even yesterday on a 30 mile ride I forced myself to stop and eat a half bar of what I've picked out every 10-15 miles. I am also forcing myself to drink fluids because I often forget. I've mapped out our 100 mile route and I am going to define stop points that forces us to give consideration to the things you mentioned. For all but one of us this will be a new distance and we need to make sure we take care of ourselves early in the ride to make sure it is enjoyable the entire distance.