Old 09-03-13, 11:24 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Sorry I meant food while on the bike. Pending pace/grade, you can burn from 600-1100 cals per hr on the bike but your body can only digest 300-400cals per hr. With longer rides, at some point you will hit that wall where your body will be using stored calories to fuel the ride. The more you get used to hitting the wall, the easier it gets riding longer on the bike. For me that is around the 6hr mark. So ideally you eat easy to digest foods, but packed with the right type of stuff you need on your rides. And also learn to eat while on the bike, on demand.
Going with this a bit more.... While on a 100k event they had support tents setup about every 10 miles. It was huge in that I got off the bike and ate what they had in the little cups. They had raisins, m&m's, cashews and some other things. I don't know if that is a typical mix or not. If so I could easily make up a batch of that and have them in a little pouch on my handlebars and every 5 miles have just a bit of it. You mentioned only being able to digest 300-400 cals per hour and I'm sure there is a difference in you ingest all those cals at once or if you trickle feed them into your stomach. Thoughts on that?