Old 09-03-13, 11:54 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
If so I could easily make up a batch of that and have them in a little pouch on my handlebars and every 5 miles have just a bit of it. You mentioned only being able to digest 300-400 cals per hour and I'm sure there is a difference in you ingest all those cals at once or if you trickle feed them into your stomach. Thoughts on that?
Google "bicycle bento box" .... nice little place to put things like what you're talking about within reach ... AND not have to stop

That said, stopping now and then is a good thing. Usually 20-25 miles. Any shorter and I would feel like I'm not getting into a rhythym or have any kind of momentum.

But to each their own.

Don't overthink the eating thing. Don't gorge yourself but don't starve yourself either.

I did a 56 mile ride last month, supported, and I didn't carry any food with me on the bike, just fluids. At the first break I had half of a turkey and cheese sandwich (I know my body responds favorably to proteins on a ride), a chocolate chip cookie and a banana. At the second stop I took a handful of grapes and a banana.

EDIT to add I started my day with a coffee energy drink and a package of bellvita biscuits.

That said, don't "introduce" new foods into a routine on the day of a ride. There's a potential for gastro distress if you eat something that doesn't agree with you.