View Single Post
Old 09-03-13, 12:10 PM
GFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
When I have gotten dehydrated (I refer to it as "bonking") the biggest problem is that I don't seem to be able to think clearly, and start making foolish mistakes like driving off the bike path/road, and not seeing/recognizing cars. The only product I have heard about that is mentioned here is Gatorade, and it is too sweet for me. Plus, being someone who has always had to watch my weight, I have always had a rule that I drink nothing with calories. If there are tablets that would help with dehydration, I would be very interested, particularly if they didn't have a lot of calories.
Try Nuun (do a search), no sugar, only 4 calories per tablet. Easy to take extra tablets with you on long rides. There are other similar products too.

Originally Posted by genejockey
I saw it mentioned but not discussed more thoroughly - eating. Calorie intake. Classic Bonking is not from electrolytes or hydration, but rather blood sugar. If you use up your muscle and liver glycogen stores, and don't take in any food, your body will have to run by burning fat and protein only. Your brain ONLY burns glucose.
Good point!

Can't ride long without eating or hydrating, you need both. A long ride for me is over 2 hours. Under 2 hours I'm good with just hydration, anything longer I need both food and liquids. I always take a bar or two with me, but almost never eat if under 2 hours. Hopefully, the wrappers are waterproof to keep sweat out.