2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genejockey
I saw it mentioned but not discussed more thoroughly - eating. Calorie intake. Classic Bonking is not from electrolytes or hydration, but rather blood sugar. If you use up your muscle and liver glycogen stores, and don't take in any food, your body will have to run by burning fat and protein only. Your brain ONLY burns glucose.

I've bonked once, and since then have been much more careful. It's a feeling that's hard to forget - you can barely think, so you're not clear on what's happening to you. You're so weak, you can only just turn the pedals over, and more than anything else you want to lie down and sleep. The day it happened to me, it hit in the last 3 miles of a long ride. On my rides, there are no stores for the last 16 miles. I felt hungry at 1 miles from home, but figured I could make it. Nope. It really was all I could do to get home. Once I got home, I had an overwhelming urge to just lie down and sleep. But a tiny spark in my brain said, "EAT!". I ate a candy bar and within a few minutes I was MUCH, MUCH better.

First thing in the morning, after coffee, I can do a 16 mile ride without any food. 20 would be pushing it, and more than that would be tempting another Bonk. So, I either ride after eating, or I take food and drink an sports drink, about 1 x 24 oz bottle/hour.

And I always, always carry an energy bar. My current one's looking rather beat up. I should probably eat it and get a new one to carry....
THIS!!

Loss of electrolytes is certainly a factor, but FOOD is the fuel that keeps the machine moving! Most foods have some electrolyte value, so it's a win-win to eat enough!