Old 09-05-13, 10:14 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FenderTL5
I have often had the same questions as the OP. I would like to try riding a decent road bike on my commute sometime, just to see how it differs. Currently, I average 14-16 mph on the hybrid depending on how many traffic lights catch me, stops at intersections, and weather/wind conditions.
I too have the same question. I hope to be in the market next year for a bike and I am pretty sure I want a hybrid style, but I'm curious about the hybrid vs. road bike.

I'm riding a heavy POS Walmart mountain bike on paved bike trails with a front and a rear shock and 26/1.95 knobbies. I am riding about 14 mph (~12 average with riding slowly enjoying the cold air in tunnels) on my flat trail and want more speed only so that I can ride further than I am for my hour nightly ride.

I really don't want to be hunched down riding. I am taking in the scenery when I ride. I'm checking out the canoes and kayaks floating down the river. I'm watching for bald eagles. I stop about 3 times usually in my 6 miles up and 6 miles back to watch the deer that are standing in the middle of the trail that I practically ride up on (one trail up at the lake, I got off and walked my bike between the 2 fawns feeding in the grass on either side of the trail. I literally could have patted each one on the head as I walked through.) I like sitting up as I am on my mountain bike. I'm pretty sure I'd be faster if I was to trade from my mountain bike to a hybrid and have been wondering about how much faster yet it would be on a road bike. If it was just the aerodynamics, then I'm not interested. I'll sit upright and enjoy the nature.