View Single Post
Old 09-05-13, 01:27 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrownd
My experience with the fabric "grocery bag panniers" is one of frustration. After a few months of use they get loosey-goosey and tend to flop around when the bike is pedalled hard, and I have to occasionally adjust my pedalling to avoid the frequency which really makes them resonate. (really frustrating when you're pushing hard to keep up momentum on a hill, or trying to build up speed in traffic) They flop around enough that it increases heel-strike, by which I have even had one jump off the rack and dump its contents all over the street. (Added a bunch of cable-ties after that) At some point I'm going to replace the fabric things with metal baskets, but since those have to be mail ordered it's hard to anticipate whether they'll fit my bike well.
You may want to consider the Arkel shoppers. While expensive, they are extremely durable, don't suffer from the problems you describe, and unlike baskets are easy to bring into the store and have the groceries placed directly in them. They also sport the best pannier mounting system I have ever tried...