View Single Post
Old 09-05-13, 07:00 PM
hallux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indoor trainer, roof-top rack questions

Rather than join a gym for the winter I'm considering an indoor trainer to use for winter exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which are better (magnetic or fluid resistance, specific brands)? I don't want to spend a ton, I guess I'll also need a computer with a rear wheel sensor to track "distance". Also, how do you track the workout and do you vary resistance to simulate hills or do you just "spin"?

Roof-top bike racks. I currently have what amounts to a Yakima Raptor (Subaru re-branded). The rivet holes for the support arm are loosening and the bike makes a rattle noise going over bumps. I'm considering replacing the rack, I would prefer one that allows you to leave the wheel on but the RockyMount Tie-Rod racks are VERY tempting (ease of install and I know of others with the same vehicle that are VERY happy with them) but you have to remove the front wheel. I have a feeling that's the most secure mounting solution to avoid the rattles but then I'd also need room inside for the wheel (might be an issue). Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't have a hitch and don't have any intention of installing one. Yes, I have plenty of interior room (it's a Subaru Outback) but I'd rather have the cargo area open and I find it easier stretching up rather than out to load the bike.

Both of these will be used primarily with my Trek 1.1, though I may load my GT Tequesta MTB on the bike rack from time to time.