Old 09-06-13, 10:36 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
You know when your dad told you way, way back that if you ever had to borrow something, return it as soon as possible and under no circumstances should the person from which you borrowed have to ask for it back? Remember?

This sorta feels like that.

Call it a pet peeve of mine, or what have you, but if things aren't working out to the planned timeframe, etc, there's worse things a person can do than keep the faith by keeping the faithful informed. Dropping off the face of the earth is always going to arouse suspicion. I'm sure the project initiator would feel the same if he were wearing the investors' shoes. Don't wait for questions, provide answers before the question is asked. Proactive invites much more understanding than reactive.

DD
I don't remember him saying that specifically but he instilled this value in me. Also you should improve it in some way. I borrowed a friend's chainsay last weekend and it has a leaky chain oil plug, so I got him a new one and sharpened his chain when I was done.

I borrow a friend's mountain bike once to take a lady friend I was courting for a ride. I tuned it up and put new brake pads on it. He was stoked.

Unfortunately, and I am going to come off as a curmudgeon here, everyone, and I mean every single person I have ever met, seems to have lower standard than I do in this regard. I do not lend my bikes out as a rule. Honestly, I have had to lower my standards because what is life without friends? I had some friends ask to borrow a bike for a friend they had visiting last weekend. My answer was no, sorry on that front. I just won't do it with something I care that much about and am that particular about and that I put that much time and fuss into. I felt like a jerk for saying no. Everyone around here lends their stuff. their cars, their boats, their skis, their bikes. Sure I will lend someone a tool or my beater skis, or a piece of clothing or a lawnmower. But a bike? No, unless you are a friend and I am riding with you, I simply know, for a fact, it won't get the care and respect I have for it.

There is a saying, care for it as if it were your own. Everyone I know cares for their own possessions less than I care for mine. No body knows how to do maintenance anymore at all on anything. Half of my friends are riding around on mountain bikes with blow seals and scored stanchions on their forks because they are too cheep to pay for annual maintenance. They ride their bikes into the ground sell it to some sucker and then buy a new one. The irony is they don't even know that they are sucker punching the buyer.

I am afraid and saddened that that mentality has more or less been lost today. People are nice, yes, but they don't give a $h!t about $h!t.

Last edited by cyclotoine; 09-06-13 at 10:39 AM.