Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf
Good luck with you and yours as well.
Does your 4th grader ride to school or recreationally with you ?
Thx for the interest, your son's school/cycle situation sounds awesome.

Yes, lots of recreational riding in the whole family, but unfortunately, cycle-commuting to school is not in the cards for us right now. Last week we had a special family event where we dropped off the kids at school in the morning with their bikes, and then met them on bikes after school to all ride home together, but it wouldn't work regularly. Our school is a little over 7 mi away, maybe 2-3mi of it is segregated bikeway, which is nice, but the rest is bike lanes on arterial suburban roads, with not much opportunity to divert to residential side streets. And we have three; the 4th grader is in the middle; the youngest would not be able to make the uphill trek to school in less than probably 90 min; the older two would be more like 45-60min.

So since at least one needs driving, it makes the most sense to drive them all. However, I'm hoping that with cross-country practice starting after school, the two oldest may get dropped off with their bikes in the morning a few days a week, and ride home after practice (no parent, but the two of them together). As an incentive to help make them eager to ride on tired legs, I can promise to outfit their bikes with racks & bags so they don't have to ride hot & topheavy with backpacks! If I ever do, I'll be sure to come back and post pics of their commuterized bikes! But until then, this is the 4th grader's bike, and I don't think I have any pictures of the oldest's bike, but it's a Raleigh Technium PRE just like this.