Old 09-07-13, 11:53 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ephin
(BTW, you cannot "train" MORE fast twitch fibers, you've either got (a lot of) them or you don't).
No disrespect meant, Dr Ephin, but while i would agree absolutely that your genetic predisposition is not changeable, some types of muscle fibre are a little more plastic than the others, and as such youcan train 'more' fast twitch fibres - in that you can tip the conditioning of these intermediate fibres (IIA) from endurance to speed, or vice versa, depending on your training. These muscle fibres will adapt in the direction you are stimulating them, for sure.

So while your type I (slow twitch) and IIa (fast twitch) fibres are predetermined, there're definitely those IIb's(the plastic ones) to play with. So i agree totally that you cannot train or will yourself into being what you are genetically not, but you certainly can improve your position with the right training.

And its not just down to fibre type, but neural conditioning too. (i.e teach your nerves to tell your muscles what to do and how quickly)

But like Babypuke pointed out, what about the training advice?

Girlcyclist, i'm only a year and a bit on the track, having I've come from an endurance background (6 years of double century road events under my belt, and a heck of a lot of mountain biking.), and the advice that I was given from a bunch of different directions was; work on leg speed, and practise 500m sprints and standing starts. This being because i could hang with the big dogs when i got up to speed, but my kick was not great, so getting there was the problem, rather than staying there.

I'll never be a pure sprinter (as much as it really does appeal to me, too), but the 500m's and standing starts have made a real difference in my ability, (i,ll go out on a limb here, and without muscle biopsy to back me up, i'll even suggest they have made a difference to my physiology). My kick is significantly better, and I even took the win a little while back in an interprovincial (we have provinces, not states) Keirin in my category. and Keirin is typically a sprinters thing.

So, for what its worth, i recommend to you what was recommended to me - practise your standing starts, (ideally have someone experienced watch you and give you feedback and guidance), and your 500m sprints.

Good luck and keep us posted!!