Old 09-07-13, 09:01 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Early in the cold then warming up weather

Well, this morning it was 46° out when I left the house. I have yet to be out below about 69°. All I have is regular clothes and didn't know what to wear. So I head down to my trail in a sweatshirt and sweatpants with t-shirt and sweatshorts underneath. I don't have a time or distance plan, figured I'll ride further than my normal 12 miles but don't know how much further. So I start out and 14 mph in 46° temps is freakin cold! My fingers were immediately frozen (very old fingerless gloves and across the hand is made for wind to go through) and the wind went right through the sweatshirt and t-shirt.

As I hit about 15 minutes out though, I start to warm up. I ended up riding 10 miles out before I turned around to go back.

The ride back was the problem. Now the sun is starting to reach the valley (along the river and surrounded by mountainous terrain) and it is warming up. How do any of you deal with this when it is cold for the first half the ride and warmer for the 2nd half? I probably could have taken the sweatshirt off and maybe tied it around my waist. I thought that if I had a "real" bike with an actual top tube then perhaps I could have shed the sweatpants and tied them onto the top tube (as you may know, mine is a Walmart double shock mountain bike with the typical weird frame on rear shock bikes.)

What do you all do if you want to shed clothes during the ride? Surely there are others out there just wearing regular clothes and not clothes that you maybe can unzip vents and such.

I think next time I may just suck it up knowing that the temps will be coming up, at least for now until the temps drop and stay dropped. At that point, I think I'll definitely going to need some type of windbreaker to keep the cold air from passing right through.