Old 09-08-13, 08:40 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
All these posts I read on here about flats and broken spokes really worry me about eventually buying a "good" bike. My bike is 8 years old and I paid $99.99 at Walmart for it. Changed the original tubes out just a month ago and though the wheels may not be exactly round or straight (brake shoes rub in 2 spots when I spin them), no spokes has ever broken. Heck, I can't complain about changing out the tubes after 8 years, can I? It was even ridden many many times in the yard with almost completely flat tires because I would be at work and my daughter would just dig it out of the garage and ride it around.

Both tubes I replaced because they had holes right at the valve.

Remind me why a $1000 bike is better than my $100 Walmart job again...
Some years back, I used to hang around audiophile websites. The pursuit of the ultimate in audio systems is actually a lot like biking. You can fiddle around with some old gear you bought off Craigslist or at a garage sale for $25, or spend tens of thousands of dollars. Those who spend the big bucks tend to sweat the little details, fiddling around with different (and often expensive) speaker wire, phono cartridges, room treatments, not to mention source components, amps, and speakers. All in pursuit of the Absolute in fidelity to the original recordings.

The non audiophile plays his or her music through whatever he or she has laying around. Ipod dock, boom box, garage sale special, and thinks it sounds pretty good.

You have mentioned more than once that your wheels wobble badly. You keep saying it like it is a badge of honor to ride a bike seriously in need of adjustment. Why not just get your wheels trued?

Last edited by MRT2; 09-08-13 at 08:45 PM.