Thread: Leather Saddle?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-13, 05:07 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Look in old bike shops, flea markets and watch eBay. I own several bikes with leather saddles, many I paid full price for because they are very comfortable (for me) and will last a life time. Some manufacturers to watch for are Wright's, Brooks, Ideale, V-O (Velo-Orange) and Persons.

Aaron
Thanks for brand names. I'm hoping to find a comfy seat.

Originally Posted by Doug5150
If you want to go seriously retro, then what you want is a saddle with "hair pin" springs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-HAIR-P...-/190488112738

Not exactly cheap though, I'd agree.

------

If you want a leather saddle because of the way that they look, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't much see any technical advantage however; at the very least certainly the wet-weather durability is lacking.

Leather saddles predate pneumatic bicycle tires, and they have generated discomfort complaints for about as long as they have existed. That is mostly the riding position necessitated by the upright bicycle however.

Lots of people like how leather looks so they still make chairs and seats out of the stuff,,,,, but no modern vehicle builder of any other type claims that leather is a superior seat material based only on technical reasons.
Oh man, that's a bit too old school! I like how they look, I like how they can last and are not made of petro-chemicals and the idea of something shaping itself to your bum is appealing.

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Perhaps try digging up a saddle from a Chinese roadster? IIRC they use that style of saddle, and the entire bike is cheap.

Then again, that's probably what those first links are...

M.
Maybe? I did find some old Russian leather saddles on Etsy but they looked a bit dry rotted.

Originally Posted by Jewel
I found this on Craigslist in PA, specifically Pittsburgh; I don't know if it's in your price range or even near to where you're at, but hopefully, it'll give you so hope that you'll be able to score a good, affordable leather saddle soon: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bik/4017648797.html

P.S. I've been looking at Brooks as well. Too bad they're so spendy.
It's near my old haunts but not my current ones. I'm not holding out too much hope for local craigslists. I've seen one in person ever and that was on a bike that looked to be the rider's pride and joy. But I'll keep looking. Maybe we'll both get lucky!

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Who makes a 4 pound saddle?

The Brooks "Team Professional" -- my preferred saddle for distance riding -- tips the scales at 530gm. That is much more than the popular carbon fiber shingles often used for saddles these days, but if it means I can ride all day without discomfort I don't mind.
That. I'm not looking to break any speed records, just avoid sore bum. I mean.. I already prefer something with springs and a wider backend so I know it won't be that light.