Old 09-12-13, 03:41 PM
ninevictor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I've spoken with Dale Benson and Samson Teshome of Caltrans.

In addition to the still images I provided I also sent them a YouTube video demonstrating the numerous unsafe conditions their detour route has created. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aePC_W5-tI

The video demonstrates a few things:
  • No bike lane (0:12 in the video)
  • Insufficient clearance between vehicle traffic and parked vehicles (0:46 in the video)
  • Bicyclists forced to cross a traffic lane in order to continue southbound on Carmenita (1:29 in the video)
  • Vehicles unwilling to yield to bicyclists (1:36 in the video)
  • Bicyclists being forced to merge into the traffic lane while contending with cars trying to turn onto Carmenita (1:41 in the video)
  • Bicyclists being forced to use the traffic lane on the overpass (1:53 in the video)
  • Unsafe road conditions coming down the south side of the overpass (2:30 in the video)
And this video was taken on a GOOD commute day on Carmenita!

Mr. Benson and I discussed:
  • Enhanced detour details to be implemented on the Carmenita detour route. He referred me to Samson Teshome for more information on the enhanced detour.
  • We also discussed Estimated reopening date of the Coyote Creek Trail and he referred me to Medardo De La Cruz for more information
  • Gateway Cities bike plan information and provided Matt Benjamin of Fehr & Peers as the contact person to obtain this information
  • Field meeting with multiple involved parties on September 20, 2013 at 0900 hours.

I emphasized to Mr. Benson that merely enhancing the current detour does not remove the risks inherent with riding a bicycle in traffic lanes in an area with heavy commercial traffic.

Mr. Teshome indicated that enhancements (sharrows and road signage) are due to be implemented on the Carmenita detour within two weeks. He also alluded to a new bridge spanning the Coyote Creek river but was unable to provide more details and encouraged me to wait until the September 20 meeting for a full presentation on the proposed span.

Obviously the biggest win here is the agreement to meet in the field on Friday, September 20. I encourage all cyclists and pedestrians who have been inconvenienced or endangered by the Coyote Creek Trail closure to attend this meeting in order to provide feedback on both the existing detour and proposed detour enhancements.

I will update here with a meeting location or any changes should they arise.