billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Ocean Drive! You bet! And a great example of a road where a more center lane position for much of that road is a good idea. But Ocean Drive was always a road I tore around at a pretty good clip every time I did it. I don't know if it totally makes sense for the "riding a bike for the first time in 20 years" crowd tooling around on their rentals.

But Newport/Middletown presents its fair share of lane position challenges. For example, where do you place yourself on Route 114?
There have been some changes lately Buzz These sharrows have been put in on Thames St. and Spring St. and they are in the right place unlike on Memorial Blvd. There are yellow diamond signs with bicycle image on most of the blind corners and big dips on Ocean Drive. I take the lane any time there is an accomodation allowing me to. Most of the time I take lane on all roads that have two lanes in the same direction the red position is the fastest pavement and don't let people BS you about why they riding in the sweet spot for speed. I ride on all major roads in Rhode Island including Rt. 114, 138, 2, 102 ect. I am not afraid of taking space I did it today on both 114 and 138 there is no other way to ride on a 35-45 mph road with no shoulder. I tend to stay off during rush hours except for the 1/2 mile between Union Street and Glen Road today I just took the lane in the middle and folks calmly passed me by changing lanes. I don't think that using "rusty or beginner bicyclists" as the basis for cycling rules is good practice, lowering the bar isn't realistic and promotes fear and ignorance. As you can see Newport is promoting VC riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
101_3820.jpg (96.2 KB, 15 views)