Old 09-14-13, 10:44 AM
DoninIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
just to reply to the basic premise/question: which ever leads to the best compliance. meaning which are you more likely to do/use.

it's harder to run or ride outside than inside on machines. yes, you can increase incline and resistance inside but I think the unpredictable nature of the environment adds a certain built in variance that adds intensity, and so also calorie burning ...
I have to believe there's a slight edge to the "real thing" and I have an exercise bike in my living room. However I think it's a much more important factor that for most people, me included it's terribly difficult to get, or stay motivated to ride an indoor bike, be it a trainer or standalone or whatever. I hate stationary bikes and I hate riding them, only by convincing myself i'm doing it to make my actual fun bicycle riding outside better, and only incidentally it will help me get in shape or stay in shape can I force myself to spend any time on the indoor bike.

Of course as others have pointed out if you can make yourself ride away from home for one hour, then you've assured a two hour ride. On an indoor bike you can stop at any time to fidget with the TV or radio or check your e-mail or whatever. About the only advantage for the indoor bike is that I'll get off and clean the house.