Old 09-15-13, 04:27 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Usually when I hear things like "nutrition coach," I have to brace myself for the usual "Avoid red meat and fatty foods, eat plenty of whole grains and fruits (like apples and bananas)." It's refreshing that things are finally changing.

By coincidence, I recently had a similar experience reading this post on Joe Friel's blog.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.

44 pounds -- like carrying four bowling balls with you on your bike.
In truth Friel did confirm much of what both my doctor and coach were saying. It often comes down to you can lose weight on just about any diet but what happens when you reach you goal? Do we realize what we were doing that got us to need a diet in the first place? With a life change approach the food is not the goal. I don't cycle so I can eat whatever I want. Now I eat to support my lifestyle and that includes better cycling.

rgwinn

Feels good doesn't it? I am now down 30lbs, had a great 23mile group ride Saturday, and I kept with the pack.

I am trying to get down to 195,(at 210 now), I know the more weight I lose the easier the rides will become.

I am now following a Paleo diet, found some great info through The Paleo Blueprint.

Keep up the good work!

For me carbs are not the enemy but they are the culprit that slows my metabolism. As Bikey Mikey said we all may be different but it took someone else looking at my diet to see what might work for me. My diet now is only a step. Paleo might have worked as well and may have returned similar results. But as my doctor kept telling me this stage was simply delayed gratification. Once the weight was off we can start building a healthier me. Because before anything else I had to write down my goals and tell them what I wanted.

I didn't post this to recommend a diet or to tell people to do things the way I did them. I posted it to say those of us over 50, in my case well over 50, are not through improving, we are not doomed to slowly fade away. If we want it bad enough we can do better. Yes I admire those that have always lived the kind of life that makes cycling an ideal activity. But I admire them enough to try and be more like them and not just shrug my shoulders and say, this is my lot in life I will just make the best of it. Like I said in my first post on the other thread, I discovered it was time to make a change and I believe that change has taken place even before I reach the goal.