Old 09-18-13, 11:51 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by casjr2171
I have a Specialized Allez Elite bought 3 months ago. I've put 700 miles on it. It is my first road bike and I really like it. However, now that I've learned more about bikes, I'm wondering if I should take my dealer up on his offer to refund my purchase price on the purchase of a new Roubaix SL4 Sport.
It's NOT the upgrade from aluminum to carbon fiber for its own sake. I am looking for ways to keep me from always being at or near the back of the pack, or falling off the back for that matter. As yould expect, climbing is the biggest factor.

My Allez weighs 23 lbs. and I think the Roubaix comes in somewhere around 17 (?). My performance may be somewhat compromised by the meds I take (2 beta blockers) but even if that's a factor, it's a "given" and something I'll just have to deal with. Climbing is tougher.

I'm starting to toss and turn over this decision and would love your opinions. Will I notice THAT much difference with the 5 or 6 pound lighter carbon frame (plus the upgrade from Tiagra to 105 components) ??? The very least I will do if I keep the Allez is change my 12-28 cassette to a 12-30 or 12-32 to help me with the climbs. But I'm torn over this upgrade offer.

Many thanks for your counsel.
What the hell?!?! You like your bike that you just bought so what's your problems already!!!!! Get over being last in the pack and just be damn glad to be IN the pack at all!!!!

You won't gain a damn thing by trading bikes since there is no measuable difference in them other than one is a (woooo weee!) carbon frame.

Life is to short for this kind of foolishness...........

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?